Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Hypothetically Speaking: Who Ya Building Around?


Hypothetically speaking, let's say that you, yes you, are in charge of starting a professional baseball team from scratch. What CURRENT PLAYER are you going to build around? Take into account the following: age, ability level, position, and intangibles. Let's assume that payroll and player salaries have no impact on the player you choose.

For me personally, if I had the chance to have Albert Pujols on my team, there is no way that I'm passing on that opportunity. The best hitter in the game still has 5-10 great years left in my eyes.

Who would you choose? And why?

5 comments:

SoxAddict said...

My first thought was Hanley Ramirez or Albert Pujols but then I questioned whether I'd want to build a 25-man roster around someone who may be a good leader but only speaks English as his second language.

In any case, I'd probably go with Evan Longoria. He plays with so much poise that it's easy to forget he's only a sophmore.

wrigleykid said...

Pitching-wise, it'd have to be Tim Lincecum or Felix Hernandez.

For position players, I'd go with Longoria, probably. Hanley and Pujols are great choices too.
Maybe even Pedroia?

Jorge Says No! said...

To be honest, I'm not sure that I'd feel comfortable choosing a pitcher at this point. Too many risks of injury and whatnot.

Anonymous said...

Greinke. Hands down. If the Royals had an offense or defense, he'd already have 18 wins this year.

Jorge Says No! said...

drpaisley,

I love Greinke as much as the next guy, but I'm not sure that I'd want to build around a pitcher, given their propensity for injuries...would you have any concern building around a pitcher?