Friday, July 10, 2009

Mike Marshall: The Interview

Recently, I had the fantastic opportunity to exchange emails with Mike Marshall, the President of the Yuma Scorpions of the Golden League. Most of you will remember Marshall as the Dodgers power hitting outfielder during the 1980s. The interview focused primarily on Marshall's experience in the Golden League as well as his time as a player in the majors.

For more information about the Yuma Scorpions and Mike Marshall, please visit:
http://www.goldenbaseball.com/Yuma


****** ******

Jorge Says No! Interview With Mike Marshall


Jorge Says No!: Why did you decide to get involved in Independent baseball (specifically the Golden League)?

Mike Marshall: Indy ball is less time consuming and a little less political. You get to scout, manage, coach etc. You are in control of the players you have.


Jorge Says No!: How did you balance being both the team President and Manager?

Mike Marshall: It can be difficult at times. I really enjoy both aspects. I have much more respect for the office people now that I am one. Players don't realize the importantance of the business side.


Jorge Says No!: There are a number of players in the Golden League who have played in the majors or some level of affiliated ball before. Do you think players are playing in the Golden League to get another chance to play affiliated ball or are they simply playing for the love of the game?

Mike Marshall: Both. I think everyone is waiting for the call or the miracle. But the money that is being made is such that you need to love the game to want to be a part of it.


Jorge Says No!: What was the thinking behind the affiliation agreement Yuma signed with the Colombian Baseball League?

Mike Marshall: Unique opportunity. An affiliation with a South American country of 50 million people. The Renteria Brothers and the Columbian Baseball Federation is a big deal. We are happy to be a part of it.


Jorge Says No!: Have the Scorpions been impacted by the economic downturn?

Mike Marshall:We have lost some sponsors. But the fans and many of our sponsors have stuck with us.


Jorge Says No!: The Golden League is the first professional baseball league to have Olympic style drug testing. Do you think MLB should adopt this?

Mike Marshall: The Olympics seem to be ahead of the curve with up to the minute testing. I am for it. Although the players assoc. is still very powerful and they have a big say in these matters.


Jorge Says No!: As a former player, do you think that the game has been tainted as a result of the steroid era?

Mike Marshall: The numbers are tainted. What you do about it is another matter all together. There will be players who are offenders that will not be caught and will end up in the Hall of Fame. Difficult problem to address.


Jorge Says No!: Do you aspire to make it back to the major leagues as a coach, manager, or executive?

Mike Marshall: Of course. I would love to be coaching or managing in affiliated ball but I was out of the game for 10 years and you have to have someone you know get you a job. I did not network that well. I am very happy doing Indy ball. There are a lot of positives.


Jorge Says No!: How did it feel to win the 1988 World Series?

Mike Marshall: The ultimate. One year that went as planned.


Jorge Says No!: What was it like to be a top prospect and deal with people’s lofty expectations?

Mike Marshall: I was young and probably not ready for some of it. I wish I would have known how good I was and not been so hard on myself.


Jorge Says No!: What was your greatest memory as a player? Any regrets?

Mike Marshall: Many regrets but every day I learn to put them behind me. It was an honor to play in the Big Leagues and also for an organization like the Dodgers.


Jorge Says No!: Do you stay in contact with any of the guys from your time with the Dodgers? If so who?

Mike Marshall: I see Saxy, Gibby, Orel once in a while. I saw Cey, Russel and Garvey recently. Not as much as I like.


Jorge Says No!: And finally, your nickname was “Bigfoot.” How did this come to be?

Mike Marshall: I wear size 15 shoes. I am 6' 5" and move like a sasquatch. You get the idea.


****** ******


I'd like to thank Mr. Marshall for taking some time out of his busy schedule to answer these questions. It means the world to me that Mr. Marshall was willing to answer all of the questions that I posed to him. Very, very classy guy.

2 comments:

bouznk@yahoo.com said...

good interview. I live in Yuma where the Scorpions play. I also hear from people that Mike Marshall is a great guy. I have not got a chance to go check out any games yet but i will now after reading this.

Jorge Says No! said...

Thanks. I appreciate it