Thursday, July 2, 2009

Can Am League Making Eric Gagne Look Like Gag-Me

Even in the Can-Am League, the numbers for former Dodger great Eric Gagne keep getting worse. After posting a 6.75 ERA for the Red Sox and a 5.44 ERA for the Brewers last season, Gagne's career appeared to be on life support. Gagne, who at one time was the best closer in baseball, was no longer an effective major league pitcher and there was talks that he needed surgery on his shoulder.

But instead of going for surgery, Gagne opted to pitch in 2009 with the Quebec Capitales of the Can Am League with the hopes of resurrecting his career.

However, the results so far this season have been very, very ugly.

In 20 innings, Gagne has given up 40 hits and is currently sporting a 9.60 ERA.

You read that right: 9.60 ERA. That's not a typo.

So the Eric Gagne comeback train looks derailed at the moment. But if anything, Gagne has one strong believer: himself.
"I still believe in myself," Gagne said. "I still know I can do it. But now I just focus on today, what I did today right, and what I can do tomorrow to get better. I think I'm going to be in the big leagues as a reliever. I can do it right now. It's just getting back into baseball mode."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

SURGERY!

Jorge Says No! said...

Amen, brother.

Anonymous said...

Update on Gagne: W 4 L 2 ERA 5.37 G 10 GS 10 Complete Game 1 SHO 1 SV 0 IP 60.1 H 74 R 41 ER 36 HR 6 HB 3 BB 16 SO 29 WP 7 OPP AVG .301