Rays acquire: Rafael Soriano
Braves acquire: Jesse Chavez
- Acquire a quality closer
- Tremendous bullpen
- Short term commitment
- Did not give up anything spectacular to acquire Soriano
- $7 million is a lot for the Rays to pay a closer
- Contenders in 2010?
- Dioner Navarro's days with the Rays numbered?
Look at the trade this way: the Rays traded Akinori Iwamura and the $4.25 owed to him in 2010 for Jesse Chavez, who was then traded for Rafael Soriano, who will probably command at least $7 million from the Rays. So in a sense, the Rays picked up Rafael Soriano for Akinori Iwamura and roughly $3 million. Not too shabby.
- made the best of a tough situation
- Chavez has potential to help the bullpen
- Fortunate that they don't have to pick up any of Soriano's salary
***What do you think of this trade? Tell us your thoughts in the comments section******