I can confirm other reports that the #Mets are on the brink of signing Kelvim Escobar to a one-year, major league contractBy giving Escobar a major league contract, the Mets are certainly adding a level of risk to the deal, but the bigger picture suggests that there is plenty of reward here for the Mets to justify this deal:
- Escobar has not pitched in nearly two seasons
- Escobar has not been a full time relief pitcher since 2002-how good will he be?
- Injury history
- Major league contract guarantees him spot on the 40 man roster
- If he is healthy, Escobar has fantastic stuff
- Potentially electric set up man
- Minimal commitment in both years (1) and dollars
- If Escobar is hurt in 2010, there are no future implications of this deal
As for Kelvim Escobar, the Mets will give him a great opportunity to get his career back on track in the bullpen. I'm sure one of the primary reasons that Escobar signed with the Mets is because they gave him a major league contract. While there were plenty of teams out there interested in Escobar, I'm not sure how many of them were willing to hand Escobar anything more than a minor league deal. Considering that he's only thrown 5 innings in the majors since 2007, the Mets' willingness to give him a major league deal demonstrates how strongly they wanted him and how much they believe in Escobar's stuff.