Sunday, September 21, 2008

Mini Bathroom Reads: Yankee Stadium Edition

-Ladies and Gentleman, Boys and Girls, Welcome...to Yankee Stadium. Bob Sheppard, what a run of longevity at the Stadium! You will always be the Voice of the Yankees and to me, the Voice of October Baseball.

-So this isn't the real Yankee Stadium. For all of those who don't know, the original Yankee Stadium was refurbished in 1973 because it was an absolute dump. So I wonder how much of the original Yankee Stadium lives on in the current Yankee Stadium? And how much of the original idea will be going into the new Yankee Stadium? From what I hear, it appears to be based on the 1923 model. Major plus in my eyes.

-The Boss speaks! Errr...writes! And he talks about his favorite memories at the Stadium and makes a point of telling us how amazing this new Stadium will be. While I don't doubt the Boss, I'm sure there are bitter Yankee fans out there who can't fathom why the Yankees would tare this piece of history down. Others will see this as a simple attempt to maximize profit and to charge albatross ticket prices. I think there are some truths to both.
(Photo: NYTIMES)

No comments: