Sunday, April 5, 2009

Jorge Says No! 2009 Season Predictions

Without further ado, here are my picks for the 2009 season. I;m usually terrible at this sort of thing, but I figure it's worth a shot to see how inaccurate my picks are. If/when these picks don't work out, don't blame me.

NATIONAL LEAGUE

NL East

1. Mets
2. Marlins
3. Phillies
4. Braves
5. Nationals

I know I'm going to get killed for picking the Marlins to come in second, but I love their young talent, especially on the pitching side. Defense remains a huge problem for the Fish, but I think they will surprise some people.

NL Central
1. Cubs
2. Cardinals
3. Reds
4. Brewers
5. Astros
6. Pirates

The Reds are a hot sleeper pick, but I don't see it. I love their pitching, but I don't think they have enough to make a push towards the playoffs this season. The Cubs are far and away the favorite to win this division.

NL West
1. Dodgers
2. Diamondbacks
3. Giants
4. Rockies
5. Padres

The Giants are another hot sleeper pick in the National League West, but right now, I don't see it. Their rotation is stacked, but the offense could be a mess if Sandoval and Ishikawa do not perform up to expectations.

NL Wild Card
1. Diamondbacks

NLDS
1. Cubs v. Diamondbacks
2. Mets v. Dodgers

NLCS
1. Mets v. Cubs

NL Pennant
1. Mets (yes, I am a homer. My bias shines through on this pick.)


AMERICAN LEAGUE

AL East
1. Red Sox
2. Rays
3. Yankees
4. Orioles
5. Blue Jays

I love the Red Sox depth, especially on the pitching side. This will be a fantastic division to watch as three teams can conceivably win the division. The Jays and O's are not going to be pushovers either.

AL Central
1. Twins
2. Indians
3. White Sox
4. Royals
5. Tigers

Even without Joe Mauer, the Twins are the class of this division. The Indians would be strong competitors if they can find a few decent starting pitchers.

AL West
1. Angels
2. Athletics
3. Rangers
4. Mariners

I would pick the Athletics to win the division, but I'm just not sold on their young pitchers. The Athletics will need a few of their young pitchers to step up if they want to compete with the Angels.

AL Wild Card
1. Rays

ALDS
1. Red Sox v. Angels
2. Twins v. Rays

ALCS
1. Angels v. Rays

AL Pennant
1. Angels (I am hoping and praying that their arms (Lackey, Escobar, Santana) all come back healthy and dominant for a strong second half push)

WORLD SERIES: Mets v. Angels

Mets in 7


So there you have it, my picks are complete. Let's play ball already!

2 comments:

Crane said...

You will not get killed for picking the Marlins to finish second, you will get killed for picking the Mets to finish first.

Jorge Says No! said...

Or how about picking the Phillies to come in third...that's not gonna be popular